Junior Council Person Program
Junior Council Representatives Appointed
Two students from Saucon Valley High School presented themselves as candidates for the Junior Council Person Program at the October 19, 2022 Lower Saucon Township Council meeting.
The Junior Council Person Program provides an opportunity for high school students to participate in local government and serve as a link between the municipal officials and the student’s peers at the high school.
The Council designated the students for the following assignments:
- Rudra Thakkar, a Junior at Saucon Valley High School, was appointed as a representative to the Township Council.
- Nitya Thakkar, a Freshman at Saucon Valley High School, was appointed as a representative to the Planning Commission.
The Township appreciates the level of interest that these students have shown in local government and looks forward to their participation and contributions during the coming year!
Wesleyville Borough was the first to establish the program in 1999. Since then, other Boroughs and Townships have followed suit to develop their own Junior Council Person Program.
The Junior Council Person Program is an outstanding opportunity to get the youth of the Boroughs and Townships to participate in the governing process of their own community. The outreach of both the community to the youth and the youth to the community is the start of building our municipalities toward the future.
Lower Saucon Township's program began with the 2002-2003 school year and has been growing ever since.
The Junior Council Person (JCP) Program provides youth in our community with an opportunity to engage in Township government and develop leadership skills. It also allows Township Officials to serve as mentors to students who will be future leaders in their communities.
The JCP Program allows students the opportunity to learn critical skills including team building and collaboration, public speaking, public engagement, budgeting and running effective meetings. It also allows the student the opportunity to deliberate on issues that are affecting his or her community.
Junior Council Persons can serve on the following Councils, Boards and Commissions:
- Township Council - Follow this link to view the Meeting Schedule
- Township Planning Commission- Follow this link to view the Meeting Schedule
- Township Environmental Advisory Council- Follow this link to view the Meeting Schedule
- Township Park & Recreation Board - Follow this link to view the Meeting Schedule
- Applicant must be a resident of Lower Saucon Township.
- Applicant must be willing to serve a one (1) year term to coincide with the duration of the school year
- Applicant must take a Junior Council Person pledge.
- Applicant should be able to attend all meetings of the Council, Board and Commission they are appointed to, including budget, special meetings, and to participate in Community events.
- Applicant must submit a written statement of interest in being appointed as Junior Council Person to the Township Manager.
- JCP's cannot vote or participate in Executive Sessions.
- Applicant must observe Township Council meeting rules and are encouraged to ask questions, provide comments and make reports.
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact the Stacy Werkheiser at